Skip to main content

Interview with a Haunted Doll Seller Part 3 of Interview with a Haunted Doll Collector

 

Hello I'm Grace Clairmont, as a result of my post about a haunted doll (here) I was given the opportunity to visit the home of a collector named Vanessa, I've written about this

here: Interview with a Haunted Doll Collector Part 1

and

here: Interview with a Haunted Doll Collector Part 2 Questions and Answers.

This is Part 3 which has morphed from an interview with a collector to an interview with a haunted doll seller as it turns out that Vanessa sells some conduit vessels, the ones that don't fit in well with her "haunted family" and home life.

So here we go: 

Part 3 of an Interview with a Haunted Doll Collector and Seller of Haunted Dolls

 Question 1: When did you first decide to sell a doll from your collection and why?

Answer: 

I'd bought a doll from a seller on Etsy, her personality description had made her sound like a good fit with my other spirit vessels. Unfortunately we just didn't hit it off, I don't think we liked each other, it was like that childhood rhyme:

"I do not like thee, Doctor Fell

The reason why, I cannot tell

But this I know,and know full well

I do not like thee, Doctor Fell."

I did feel bad about it, I tried to like her and get on with her but just couldn't. So I took a friend's advice and listed her for sale on Ebay. My friend had said that rehoming was the only sensible action to take, after all one wouldn't invite a living human being to live with you when you that you didn't like so why would you keep her? 

Question 2: Did she sell quickly?

Answer:

No she took ages to sell and I sold her for less than I had paid for her. Looking back it was understandable that I wouldn't get a quick sale as I had no Ebay feedback and most buyers will check a sellers feedback to try and make sure they aren't being scammed.

I was far from enthusiastic about selling and hoped not to have to do it again. Then another spirit whose conduit vessel I had purchased from FB Market Place actually requested to be rehomed.

Question 3:  Oh dear that must have come as a bit of a blow.

Answer: 

It did really Grace, being honest I was a bit upset and tried my best to persuade her to stay, but at the end of the day spirits have free will and should be allowed to make their own choices, so I put her vessel up for sale as requested. Actually if I hadn't she would probably have evacuated from the conduit vessel anyway.

Question 4: Did that sale also take a long time?

Answer:

Not really but it was most annoying. Within a day of putting her up for sale someone messaged me asking if I would reserve her for them just for a couple of days until they got paid. Being a novice Ebayer I agreed, that was a mistake, the buyer never paid and didn't even respond to my message asking if they still wanted the doll. I had to relist, but, lesson learned, I have a strict rule with myself now, that no matter how nice someone sounds I will not reserve for them.

Question 5: Do you often have problems with potential buyers like that?

Answer:

Well I do get messages from people asking questions about the spirit, which I don't mind at all, if you're going to take a spirit into your home you want to know as much about them as possible. But messages like, "Oh she sounds so nice, I'd love to have her live with me" are pretty much a waste of my time. Her conduit vessel is for sale so if you want her to live with you buy it!

Then there are some people who make an offer and never pay. Ebay has tried to rectify that by not taking the item off sale before it's paid for. But it is just rude and can be upsetting for a spirit who thinks he or she is going to a new home and then doesn't, they can feel rejected and disappointed.

Not to mention those who buy and pay, then cancel. 

I could go on and on, fortunately most buyers are genuine and no trouble at all.

Question 6: I have to say that sounds like a right pain, is it really worth it?

Answer: 

For me yes because I'm genuinely selling vessels that I do not want to keep, I don't buy to sell. I'm not sure I'd like to sell haunted vessels for a living that's for sure.

Question 7: Do people actually do that?

Answer: 

Well I'm not 100% certain they make a "living" out of selling haunted vessels but there are some fairly big sellers. Some have Etsy shops as well as Ebay and they promote a lot using social media platforms. Instagram seems to be a favourite, FB, Youtube and TikTok is a big one too. They must spend an awful lot of time photographing and making videos to sell their wares. I wouldn't want to do that.

Question 8: They use videos to promote, how?

Answer:

They'll post a video of a doll setting off an EMF meter, things like that, to prove activity.

Question 9: Oh I see, are they genuine?

Answer:

I couldn't say Grace, they aren't my vessels so I don't know.

Question 10: Oh of course not, sorry silly question but that does bring me to ask if have you ever bought a haunted doll that turns out not to be haunted?

Answer:

I have bought vessels that don't communicate the way the seller says they do, in fact I've bought some items that haven't communicated with me at all. It's the risk you take as a collector. Technically the seller is only selling the doll, Ebay does not allow the sale of souls, intangible objects, listings do usually, or should as part of Ebay's terms of service, state that the item is for entertainment only. 

Question 11: What do you do with them?

Answer:

To start off with I keep them and continue to try and open a channel of communication using my various clair senses. As you're aware paranormal activity never seems to happen on demand, in fact some hauntings only occur biannually, so I give the potential spirit every opportunity to engage. If that doesn't work I pass the doll vessel on to one of my friends from the ghost hunting group. She likes to use the electronic ghost hunting equipment such as spirit boxes, K2M, motion detectors etc. She's even got a motion sensor teddy bear and a robot, she loves all that stuff and has enormous fun with it.  

Question 12: Does she have any success with opening communication?

Answer:

Well she gets flashing lights and EVP, especially when she uses a phone app, but, she also admits that she isn't entirely convinced that any of it has anything to do with the vessel. The jury is still out on that one. But she enjoys the investigations which is the important thing.    

Question 13: That's interesting. Now I know you got your first conduit vessel doll from someone you knew personally. If one of Haunted Isle's readers wants to buy a haunted doll do you have any advice to offer?

Answer:

Let me see... Well first I think you should be absolutely 100% sure you want to invite a spirit into your home, also you should make sure that anyone who lives with you is okay with that. Remember that some people would find it quite scary.

Don't rush, take your time, look at listings, watch them if you think they might be right for you. Ask yourself why? How would the spirit fit into your life and home?

For eg. if you work 12 hour shifts would you really have the time to give enough attention to a spirit doll listed as lonely and sad, needing love?

Make sure to check the sellers feedback. It isn't unusual for a genuine seller not to have 100% feedback as unfortunately some buyers have unreasonable expectations, often driven by social media posts they've seen. Point is, read the feedback, if a seller has lots of negatives give them a miss. If they have a few, see how they respond. If they come across as nasty personally I'd give them a miss too.

The other thing I'd suggest is that once you've chosen a haunted doll, wait, give it a few days, maybe even a week to decide before purchase.  

 Also don't buy unless you can really afford the price!

I'm sure there are lots of other points to consider but that's probably enough to be going on with for now. 

Grace Clairmont: Yes that's quite a lot to think about Vanessa, thank you so much for answering my questions, and for inviting me to meet your "haunted family" it has been so interesting.

Vanessa: It's been my pleasure Grace, I've enjoyed our chat and I hope your Haunted Isle blog readers enjoy the interview.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ghosts of Nunnington Hall, North Yorkshire

Strange things happen in 17th Century Nunnington Hall situated on the banks of the River Rye in North Yorkshire. Now owned and managed by The National Trust a member of staff has assured me that Nunnington Hall is indeed haunted although not in a scary fashion. She found upon entering the building in the morning that lights, which she personally switched off, had been turned on and locked doors open. Lilette de Foucauld, a young French woman staying at Nunnington during the 1930's would probably not have agreed with my source. She found her sleep disturbed in the Panelled Room by something coming out of the wall over her bed. Moving to another bedroom restored her sleep! Visiting members of the public have commented on the feeling of something brushing against their legs at the top of the staircase. This is believed to be the ghost of a pet dog who plunged to it's death through the staircase railings. Visitors have also reported a smell of pipe smoke, glimpses of a hur...

Sarah Preston the ghost of Boston Stump a September Haunting

The ghost of Sarah Preston, who was blamed for spreading the plague that resulted in over 400 deaths in Boston, is a recurring ghost that is said to be more active during the month of September. Sarah lived in a cottage in the shadow of St Botolphs church in the Lincolnshire town of Boston, the principal port of England in medieval times, and it here, in her husband's absence, that she entertained a sailor  who, unbeknown to Sarah, was carrying the plague. Guilt stricken, Sarah Preston climbed the 365 steps to the top of St Botolph's tower, known as Boston Stump, and committed suicide by leaping from the top. Sarah's ghost has been seen to jump from the top of the tower only to disappear before touching the ground. Image: Immanuel Giel via Wikimedia Commons Other September hauntings: Ghost of King Edward II Berkeley Castle, Gloucestershire The Grenadier Pub, Wilton Row, London The Ghost of Annie Chapman, a September Haunting The ghost of Amy Robsart wife of Sir...

Hannath Hall

Hannath Hall, a private dwelling in Tydd Gote near Wisbech has a long history of paranormal activity. It's an Elizabethan manor house, formerly known as Sparrow's Nest until purchased by Josepth Hannath in 1812. Legend tells that when Joseph's wife died he became deranged and refused to allow the body to leave the house. For two months Joseph Hannath kept his wife's body in her bedroom and insisted that her meals were taken to her.  One poor maid was driven to suicide by this madness and it's believed to be her ghost that has been seen walking the corridors of the house. Eventually Joseph allowed his wife to be buried, under a chestnut tree in the garden. But some say that thereafter no-one could sleep in the bedroom where the body had been kept. Fast forward to 1957 when a Peterborough journalist has car troubles near Hannath Hall. The then owners, Derek and Catherine Page (Derek Page went on to become the MP for Kings Lynn) invite him in and inevitably ...